Monday, March 5, 2012

Maasai Shuka!

We’re finishing up here in Tanzania.  The next few days will be dedicated to exams and studying, so Moyo Hill students will be buckled down and trying their best to ignore the amazing scenery to focus on lecture notes.  Today, however, was a day for fabrics!
   After a super successful shopping excursion in Mtu wa Mbu last Saturday (if you’ll kindly recall, my last experience there was unsavory) I was able to finish my gift shopping, and even pick up a few more things for myself.  I managed to purchase some Maasai shuka, a cloth they wear for clothing and coverage.  It’s a brilliant red and blue, and I love walking around wrapped up in its thick, comforting embrace. 
   The rains come every day now, and it seems that my dreams at night are always accompanied by a symphony of raindrops falling onto the metal roofing. 
   Our front lawn has been dotted by tents for the past few days.  This marks the beginnings of preparations for our camping excursion in Serengeti, and I am beyond consolable when it comes to my excitement.  I’m fairly itching at the chance to lay out my sleeping bag and sleep in the wild.  I’ve already been caught lying in the tents myself, imagining our trip out into the Tanzanian wilderness.  My professors informed me that some students sit up with with night-watch guards, and that's exactly what I plan to do.  To see hyenas wander through the campsite, elephants wandering up to our tents, or even hear a lion prowling nearby, is too much for my heart to handle.  I'm terrified, excited, and I am still in awe at the very aspect of being in such a wondrous place!
   All I have to do, it seems, is finish these exams, and I’ll be free to celebrate our coming safari.  

No comments:

Post a Comment